Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I had radiation and chemo for anal-rectal cancer in 2013.

Customer Question

I had radiation and chemo for anal-rectal cancer in 2013. The radiation was every weekday for almost two months. I had to refuse the last two radiation "treatments" because I had such terrible skin damage and pain (including on my genitals) that I could not tolerate more. Now, three years later, it seems the cancer is returning (still trying to figure this out). BUT, my question is this: I notice my anus opening being less open than it used to be, and this causes me a terrible dilemma about elimination. I believe this opening is less in circumference than it used to be, and also I believe my genitalia were reduced in size! (Not something I needed.) Could this just be my imagination (I do have a Ph.D.), or could this have happened,, and what in the world can I do about it?
JA: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Oh, all sorts of things, but there is nothing but a quite incompetent family physician, whose P.A.s dictate everything, so I hardly ever go to him. AND, there is a plethora of "specialists." I am in the Phoenix area, and all I run into are "specialists," who claim not to know about or be interested in anything but their interests, which are SO narrow that they do me no good.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 3 months ago.

Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

are you having any problems with sexual function?

Loss of bowel control?

Are you saying your penis and testicles are smaller?