Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I have been taking Ativan for the last 5 days for anxiety.

Customer Question

I have been taking Ativan for the last 5 days for anxiety. Taking around 1-1.5mg. Last dose of 1mg about 18 hours ago. Is it safe to take hydrocodone 7.5mg now?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  drcaplan replied 1 month ago.

Hello!

Welcome to the JustAnswer.com chat dialog.

I am a Family Medicine doctor, board certified with active licenses and certification in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as Integrative Medicine & Naturopathy, with advanced training in Neurology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, and Psychiatry. I am also well-trained in Functional Medicine. Perhaps most importantly, I consider myself a patient listener.

I have read your question.

Expert:  drcaplan replied 1 month ago.

The answer mostly depends on your sensitivity to these medications. Both are psychoactive, and both can cause cognitive, cardiac, and respiratory slowing. If they are medications you've used before, or regularly, they are likely to be safe. If you have not used them before, you may feel more tired or more slow, generally, than you would want.

Expert:  drcaplan replied 1 month ago.

How old are you, do you take any other medications? Why are you taking these?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I take Ativan for anxiety and hydrocodone ingot today for a muscle strain. I've been taking Ativan as needed for 6 months. I was taking hycodan last week for bronchitis but not with Ativan.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am 34
Expert:  drcaplan replied 1 month ago.

I see. Hydrocodone is not a good medication for muscle strain. Both ativan and hydrocodone are very addictive, and cause more than 75% of the national opiate addictions. That being said... if you can avoid taking the hydrocodone , you are probably better off. There are much better alternatives.

Expert:  drcaplan replied 1 month ago.

To your specific question, it is "safe" from a pharmacodynamic perspective (the way the drugs act in your system), but none of these medications are considered "safe" in general. Provided you are being closely monitored and supported, and you're not operating machinery (including a car), they are safe.

Expert:  drcaplan replied 1 month ago.

Was I able to address your question to your satisfaction? Can I answer any other questions for you today?