Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I've been having cramps and burning yellow diarrhea since I

Customer Question

I've been having cramps and burning yellow diarrhea since I woke up this morning
JA: How long have you been dealing with the burning? Are you experiencing any other discomfort?
Customer: It only burns when I go to the toilet to pass the diarrhea. But it burns now since I used the bathroom 10 minutes ago. Little bit of pain in my back and stomach. I feel bloated even though I only ate toast
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 2 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask how old are you and do you have any symptoms like dizziness, sweating, lightheadedness?

Since you seem to be offline ill leave a response here which we can discuss later on

Well from what you are describing it sounds like that you have developed acute gastroenteritis. This is a condition in which you would have developed a viral or bacterial infection of the intestines. Now with the burning pain that you are having as well as the yellow color of the stools, it is likely that this is due to a bacterial infection. This can also cause diarrhea with blood por mucus in the stools, fever, abdominal pain or even back pain. Now the diagnosis would be made with stool tests like examination and cultures. The treatment would include antibiotics as well as fluid therapy. Now at the same time if the other symptoms are not present then you could also have a viral infection.

Now the MOST important thing that you have to do right now is that you should stay hydrated. Drink As much water as you can, at the same time also start using electrolyte rich fluids like gatorade or ORS. These are extremely important to control the loss of electrolytes with the diarrhea. In addition stick to the BRAT diet which consists of bananas, rice, toast, applesauce.

In the meantime you can use OTC tylenol for the pain as well as use OTC imodium ONLY ONCE NOT MORE THAN THAT. But i think given the symptoms that you have described then you need to have this evaluated and get started on antibiotics. It is imperative that you do so ASAP.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.