Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

What causes leg ulcers, it it a lack of essential vitamins

Customer Question

What causes leg ulcers, it it a lack of essential vitamins caused by a poor diet. My male friend, who is 70 and has leg ulcers, lives mainly on fries, Coca Cola and chocolate. I remember that Japanese prisoners of war in WWII had serious leg ulcers and large gaps or holes in their leg flesh but completely recovered when released and resumed a normal Western diet.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: Not aware but the ulcer is spreading from knee to ankle and patient is now in ICU at the local hospital where doctors are experimenting with various treatments to see which may work. Thanks.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: My friend has had loss of vision which I put down to a deficiency of Vitamin A and has had two recent coronary events and insertion of stents.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry about your friend with leg ulcers.

yes, poor diet can lead to non healing of ulcers on the leg.

your friend is very sick and has many health issues.

improving the diet can help some of his issues possibly. even taking a multi vitamin could possibly help him.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

do you have any other questions?