Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

While I was in India, I was involved in a motorcycle

Customer Question

While I was in India, I was involved in a motorcycle accident on March 29, 2002. Although I have no recollection of events including the accident, or how I arrived at the hospital, I was placed into a medically induced coma.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: The results were subdural hematoma. None - at the time, a battery... Dilantin and Diclofenac at the time. but the question is
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I always feel like my brain is in handcuffs. I have a very difficult time formulating clear thoughts... is this some time of cerebral vascular defficency? Am I not getting blood flow where I need it, and if so, how do I correct it. This has been since the accident 14 years ago (which occured at age 28) I'm otherwise super healthy: competitive triathlete and I lift weight at least 4 days p/week... Also super nutritionally conscious, especially concerning foods high in phytic acid, agglutinins... always very hydrated... Only drink water, never alcohol or juice, etc...
JA: In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: physically, very well. I've always been athletic. My next triathlon is in the first week of December. It's mainly the brain issue. It's hard to describe. The funny thing is that I had someone relate a similar experience to me back in "87: he was in a bad car accident, always felt like he was stupider. I couldn't tell. He seemed pretty smart to me, but then - I didn't know him before... Now I have exactly the same issue... Except that no one who didn't know me before can tell. But I feel the limitations every day.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 month ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Well it is certainly possible that you are suffering from some residual neurological deficit which is causing the problem at the moment. Many patients with severe head injuries have complaints like these which can persist for several years. This can manifest itself in the form of memory issues, personality changes, cognitive deficits, difficulty in forming words or rather recalling words, difficulty in doing arithmetic, difficulty in creative thinking, difficulty concentrating among many many other features. The reason for this is that when these sort of injuries occur there is damage to the neurons of the brain, now once a neuron dies it cannot be heal on its own, so basically those neurons of the brain are lost. The brain tries to compensate for this loss by training other neurons to take care of the functions of the lost neurons. Now that is not possible in all cases and in those cases these sort of deficits can remain.

Secondly it is very difficult to diagnose this problem as these symptoms can be subjective. Only if you had serious cognitive deficits would this be diagnosed but your symptom is difficylty in forming clear thoughts. Now while this can occur in many individuals, there is no particular treatment available for this condition. However you can try using gingko bilboa which is a herbal supplement, there is no proof that it works but there is anecdotal evidence regarding its efficacy.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have tried Ginkgo, and had limited success, but it's difficult to find the perfect dosage. For the first couple of years after the accident, I found that caffeine in copious amounts made my brain feel normal, and while the nervous system benefited from it, the rest of the body did not (especially the vascular system).You are correct - I have considerable expressive aphasia, but more so in verbal communication than in written communication. In written communication, at times, I may repeat a phrase in a sentence. There are also certain verbal sequences that I have had difficulty enunciating - but I have put much practice into perfecting the ability to normalize the sounds.The memory limitation factors seems specific: it’s all verbally oriented. The initial point of impact point was at a critical junction of the left parietal, temporal and frontal lobes, with a contrecoup injury on the right parietal). All the info is there, but it’s as though the file cabinet got dumped onto the floor and I have to sort through this jumbled pile to retrieve whatever it is that I’m looking for.Thank you for the information. I'll research more on ginkgo to see if there are any standardized formulas.

You are welcome, i think you may benefit for neuro-cognitive therapy, select centers offer this. Look for a university hospital near you, they should be able to help you in this regard. Also, do remember to leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above your screen as that is how we are compensated for helping you today. Any BONUSES would be well appreciated! :)

Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 29 days ago.

Have you asked another query? It has not shown up here, although the system says that you have replied to my last response