Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I've never had skin problems and suffer only mild seasonal

Customer Question

I've never had skin problems and suffer only mild seasonal allergies that cause sneezing. On Tuesday night I awoke to persistent itching on my upper front thighs. Eventually, I applied some OTC cortizone cream. It didn't help much. Later on Wednesday, the itchiness had spread to my buttocks and front and back thighs down to my knees. I applied white vinegar which provided better relief. The relief doesn't last more than 90 minutes or so. Then the itching returns with renewed ferocity and it's nearly impossible to restrain myself from scratching. My skin is red and slightly puffy. I'm 72 yrs old, have had no recent changes in medication (BP, thyroid, progesterone) and am otherwise in good health. How do I stop the itching?
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?
Customer: Since 3 a.m on Wednesday morning. Slight improvement of symptoms with white vinegar spritzed on itchy areas
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I had blood work done last week for liver, thyroid, kidney function. All was well. A recent mammogram and bone density test showed no abnormality.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

there are over the counter antihistamines such as allegra 180, claritin, zyrtec which can help decrease itching.

you can also take 50mg of benadryl at night time to help decrease itchiness.

you can also use benadryl cream and calendula calming cream to help decrease itchiness.

you can use hydrocortisone cream 1% twice a day as well

I would start there

if you continue to have itchiness, you may need to see your doctor for stronger prescription treatment.