Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Urgent Care Physician
96392890

My dog rolled on some deer poop today. I wiped the area,

Customer Question

My dog rolled on some deer poop today. I wiped the area, which didn't have any visible debris, with a damp rag and castile soap. I didn't have time to give him a bath because I was walking them on my lunch.I am curious if I should be concerned about the potential for any zoonotic disease, and if wiping him down was sufficient or if I need to steam my whole house and bathe him. I read that deer can carry Brucella abortus, Mycobacterium bovis and Francisella tularensis. I do not currently have any immune compromised people living in the home, although some visit occasionally.Thank you for your help!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 1 month ago.

Hi Dr Ashori here.

If this question is regarding your own health then I can tell you that you have nothing to worry about as far as the deer feces.

Those organisms are rarely found in the feces and unless someone is on immunosuppressants or quite ill it's not a major concern.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 1 month ago.

Hi there.

Wanted to know if you have any questions.