Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Im in the hospital at this moment .. doctor claiming i have

Customer Question

im in the hospital at this moment .. doctor claiming i have colitis but not telling me how to treat it or whats going to happen. could you give me some insight on colitis or what meds to ask for /
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: none
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no i been on metronidazole for two days
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 4 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Can i ask have they told you what type of colitis you have? Infectious? Autoimmune? Ulcerative colitis?

The reason im asking is because different types have different treatment protocols, that would narrow down the field and i can give you a more targeted answer

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no the doc just keep telling me it is colitis...but all my sysmptom are thos of ulcer colitis but they have not given me no treament for it but got me on blood thinner and antibiotics

Colitis is actually a term used to indicate that there is inflammation of the colon. This by itself is not a complete diagnosis. The reason being that it depends on the underlying cause of the colitis. As i said earlier different types of colitis have different types of management. The most common type by far is infectious colitis in which there can be a bacterial or amebic infection of the intestine which is causing the inflammation. it would cause diarrhea with or without blood/mucus in the stools as well as abdominal pain. This would be diagnosed on stool tests, CBC, CT scan of the abdomen and in some cases a colonoscopy as well. Now this is fairly easy to treat with the use of antibiotics which can include metronidazole as well as ciprofloxacin.

Now other types of colitis have differing treatments. You could have inflammatory bowel disease, ulcerative colitis is a part of this diagnosis. This would be treated with high dose steroid therapies in acute attacks followed by other therapies which may include sulfa drugs.

Now since you are on blood thinners (which ones? heparin or warfarin?) and antibiotics i think they have made a diagnosis of infectious colitis complicated by possibly ischemic colitis. Ischemic colitis is a condition in which small blood clots go to the blood vessels supplying the intestines and block their blood supply. This would lead to similar symptoms like ulcerative colitis and would be treated with IV blood thinners. The diagnosis has to be made with an angiography in most cases.

Now the first step in your case would be to ask the doctor WHAT type of colitis you have, ask him if you have any of the above three. Secondly if it is ischemic ask him i an angiography needs to be done. Third, ask him if its infectious what antibiotics you are on. Fourth, ask him if a colonoscopy is needed at this point in time. Lastly, ask him do they suspect it to be ulcerative colitis and if so, are steroids part of their treatment plan for you?

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/