Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I have a pain on left sude upper chest had it couple times

Customer Question

Hi i have a pain on left sude upper chest had it couple times today and yesterday seems to last 2 to 4 hours at a time.
Quite painful at the moment
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 month ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. can i ask do you have any radiation of the pain into the arm or the jaw? is the area tender to touch? Does the pain worsen on taking deep breaths? Any other medical conditions?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi no pain un other parts of body just chest areaI have had gastic sleeve about 14months ago

Now pain on the left side of the chest always has to be considered as related to the heart until proved otherwise. Even though your age is not consistent with that of heart disease, but pain which occurs in the chest should be evaluated with the help of a simple EKG. Especially if it is accompanied by sweating, radiation of pain into the arm or jaw, nausea, vomiting etc. I would recommend that even though i think it is less likely to be due to heart disease, you should have this pain evaluated at your ER. Sometimes pain in the chest related to the heart can occur without the other symptoms.

Now what this is more likely to be is either a musculoskeletal problem or related to the lungs. i think it is likely to be acute costochondritis which is a condition in which there is inflammation of the cartilages of the ribs. This can cause pain in this region which can worsen on deep breathing and also cause tendernes sin the region. if this is the case then you can have this diagnosed via a simple clinical examination after which it can be treated with OTC drugs like motrin or aleve (however in your case topical voltaren gel would be better along with tylenol because of the gastric sleeve).

Another cause of this can be related to the lung, sometimes the covering of the lungs can be inflammed which can lead to pain in the chest which worsens on breathing. This can also cause coughing or shortness of breath in some cases. The diagnosis is made with a chest xray and then treated with simple antibiotics in most cases alongwith steroids.

Now i would suggest that you use OTC tylenol for the pain but do get the EKG done even though the chances of heart diseae are low, it is best to rule out the heart in situations like these.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.