Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I have a strange pressure at the base of my head, jaw, ears,

Customer Question

I have a strange pressure at the base of my head, jaw, ears, and throat. Almost like a pressure with a dull ache. It feels hard to hold my head up. This just started today, but I've also had a pain/burning like pinched nerve sensation behind my shoulder blade. I'm not sure what is going on. I am low in iron, b-12 and D as well.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The pinch nerve sensation went away yesterday.
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 month ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask do you have any dizziness, lightheadedness? What is your age and gender? ANy nausea or vomiting? Any chest discomfort? also any other medical conditions that you might have?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no dizziness, not feeling lightheaded. Age 31, Female. No nausea or vomiting.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Dull ache in jaws as well as pressure, aching in ears.

Thanks for the additional information. Ill just write down your answer and get back to you in a few minutes.

Now the first thing i would suspect in patients with pressure in teh jaw and throat which appeared suddenly is a problem with the heart, however given your history and your young age this is a less likely cause in your situation. Especially since you have not mentioned any chest pain or sweating or any nausea etc. This decreases the likelihood of this pain being heart related. Now if this is not related to the heart then the next most likely possibility is that of sinusitis which can cause aches and pains in these areas of the face and throat and also cause ear pain. It is also possible for it to cause post nasal drip and congestion however that usually occurs a week or so into the symptoms. The diagnosis can be made clinically and if needed an xray can be done to confirm it. Usually the treatment is with OTC therapies like sinus lavages, antihistamines and decongestants however in some cases antibiotics may be needed. Another cause can be the start of a viral infection which is causing the throat, ear and jaw pain. This can later on progress to cause more traditional symptoms of flu or even fever. In this case as well onlt bed rest, fluids as well as OTC therapies like tylenol will be useful.

Now the burning pain in the shoulder, that is likely to be a pinched nerve which is iunlikely to be related to the jaw symptoms. This can be due to the low B12 levels as well as low B12 can cause neuropathy anywhere in the body. If the shoulder symptoms persist for more than a week then a NCS should be done to determine the cause.

For now i would advise using OTC allegra as well as OTC tylenol and see if that helps with the symptoms. You can substitute tyelnol with aleve if you want as that is more effective in some cases. But if the symptoms dont improve or get worse or you develop any of the other heart related symptoms i mentioned above then IMMEDIATELY go to the ER, otherwise see your doctor after 72 hours if this doesnt improve.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.