Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience
15267045

I broke my humerous bone and went to the emergency room they

Customer Question

I broke my humerous bone and went to the emergency room they put a shoulder immobilizer. I don't see the orthopedic dr until Thursday. My arm is swollen and the cuff at the elbow area is very tight. Shoul I loosen the cuff?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 month ago.

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.You can loosen the cuff at the wrist and straighten the arm and move the fingers.The cuff at the elbow should not be loosened as that will shift the broken fragments of the humerus by transferring the weight,rubbing the fragments of the shoulder and the arm against each other leading to further damage.The swelling is there because of the trauma to the arm,it would be prudent to see your doctor/PCP if the swelling is severe and leading to blueing of the fingers /stopping the blood supply due to the pressure of the swelling.Any loosening of the cuff should be done by a medical personnel or a doctor who knows what he is doing.The wrist and finger movements should be done 10-15 times at least thrice daily.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks so much.

Please give me a positive rating,4/5 stars that I get paid for my efforts.Thank you.

Please do rate me positively at the earliest.Thank you.