Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

Was looking into poping ear and everything sounding louder.

Customer Question

Was looking into poping ear and everything sounding louder. Almost like Eustachian tube being stuck open. A woke up about a week ago with this situation and I assumed I had an infection. Have had Eustachian issues for a while but normally when my right ear poped I could suck in and reset it to normal where it isn't loud with a pressure feeling. For the past week if I lay on my right ear I wake up and it feels like pressure and everything is loud. Took a Z pack and a steroid pack and it has helped. when I push in right at my jaw line/by the lobe it feels like there is pressure. ITs making me very depressed. Im wondering if my repeated trying to suck in has made something swell not allowing it to reset. Any ideas?
JA: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?
Customer: For a week and yes my general doctor
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: not really
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 month ago.

Hi there. What is your age and how is your overall health?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am 50, pretty fit in fact have been excersizing for about 2.5 years now and have lost 67 lbs. I workout 6 times a week doing P90x, T25, PIYO etc. I do have high blood pressure and had a lot of ear infections when I was a kid. Never any eat tubes though. Like I said just weird antibiotics and prednisone didn't fix it like normal. I did forget to mention a couple of nights a clear fluid ran out of my canal when I laid on that right side too though. My doc said my eardrum looked fine. The only other time this happened I had swimmers ear but wouldn't the Z pack have fixed that? I put some recently left over prescription swimmers ear drops in to see if that helped , did it twice. Do you think I should keep trying those?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 month ago.

When I see this type of situation, including medications that aren't working and an normal ear examine, I begin to look for other possible culprits in the area. For example, TMJ can cause these exact same sypmtoms and may feel temporarily better with prednisone (due to its anti-inflammatory properties). Similarly, dental issues in the back molars can lead to these types of symptoms due to a shared nerve supply with the ear. I would suggest you see a dentist and ask him or her about these two possibilities. A focused exam looking for other possible cause of your ear symptoms is in order.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 month ago.

Hi there. I hope my answers were helpful to you. If you have no more questions, please don't forget to provide a positive rating as this is the only way experts on this site get compensated for the time they spend helping you.

Regards,

Doctor-Bob