Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

For three days now, with one day of interruption I had blood

Customer Question

good morning Dr. For three days now, with one day of interruption I had blood in the faecalea, when on the toilet. I'm a man 64 years of age. I normally feel healthy. I do some sports. But some times I have problem of cholesterol.So what can be the cause of the blood in the faecalia?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 month ago.

Can i ask what color was the blood, red or was it more black? Also do you have black colored stools? Was the blood mixed in the feces or was there bleeding in the form of drops? Any abdominal pain or constipation?

Since you seem to be offline, ill leave a response here which we can discuss later on

Well blood in the stools can be due to a number of things. now if it is red colored blood then it is likely to be coming from the lower gastrointestinal tract. The most common cause of blood in this age group is hemorrhoids which are essentially dilated veins in your anus which protude out on straining and can bleed. They can also lead to constipation. In minor cases simple OTC therapy like lidocaine gel and hemorrhoid cream are helpful along with sitz baths however in sever cases surgery is needed to remove them. Another cause of the bleeding can be an infection inside the rectum like proctitis which can cause diarrhea as well as pain in the regiuon. A simple coiurse of antibiotics would clear that up.

Now apart from this it is also possible that you could have polyps inside the rectum which can cause the bleeding. This would again need a clinical examination to be diagnosed and if needed a proctoscopy would need to be done.

Given your age, it is important to have this evaluated ASAP with the help of a simple clinical examination at your doctors office and if needed a colonoscopy as well. I would STRONGLY recommend that you have this done ASAP. Cholesterol issues wouldnt cause the bleeding in your stool and that is why the above conditions need to be ruled out.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi doctor,indeed it was a normal red colour of the blood; but i will follow your advice and will check with my Doctor.

That would be best, ***** ***** remember to leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above your screen as that is how we are compensated for helping you today. Any BONUSES would be well appreciated! :)