Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My direct conjugated bilirubin is 0.45 against the normal

Customer Question

Hello
JA: Hi. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: My direct conjugated bilirubin is 0.45 against the normal limits of 0-0.2. what does this mean
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No we got our blood and Urine tested as a routine check
JA: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?
Customer: bood
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I just wanna to know the MCHC , Conjugated Bilirubin , and the ration of LDL and HDL cholestrol
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 month ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Could you include the values of total and indirect bilirubin?

What was the Hgb, Hct, and MCV?

Could you provide the entire lipid profile?

I assume that since you do not comment upon any of the remaining liver tests that they were all normal, correct?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just submitted my and my wife's report on the site

The primary concern when there is an increased conjugated bilirubin is that there is a condition that is affecting flow from the liver into the small intestine. Common conditions include gallstones in the bile duct or inflammation in the bile duct, or pancreatic disease that is compressing the bile duct. It is also possible to see an increase in conjugated bilirubin from infections of the liver. However, we also usually see an increase in alkaline phosphatase when there are conditions that affect the flow of bile and increases in the SGOT and SGPT when there is an infection of the liver.

There is one other consideration since two people both had mild increase in conjugated bilirubin and no other liver abnormalities, which is that the lab may have had a difficulty in the lab machine giving false results. Other than a viral infection that could be affecting both of your livers, it would be very unlikely that both of you have developed similar conditions at the same time. And if both of you developed a viral hepatitis at the same time, it would be unusual that both of you have normal SGOT and SGPT.

The MCHC is normal. Any lab that is this close to the normal range is normal. The low LDL/HDL ratio is actually a good sign, indicating that you have more of the good (HDL) cholesterol for the amount of bad (LDL) cholesterol that is in the system.

The first thing that I would do in this situation is to recheck the labs in both of you. If the repeat conjugated bilirubin is normal in both of you, it is likely that this was a lab error, but it also is possible that it was a minor viral infection affecting both of you, and the lab was coincidentally obtained as most of the labs were getting better and the conjugated bilirubin was the last to get better. On the other hand, if the first labs were obtained early in the course of an infection, the repeat lab test may be more abnormal.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.