Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor, PGCSD(dermatology)
6740150

My 21 year old daughter is home from college and had a

Customer Question

My 21 year old daughter is home from college and had a severe case of heart burn last night
Right when she was getting ready to go to bed. She had eaten broiled fish for dinner. She took 3 tums and did not get much relief.
It was scary always think you are having a heart attack. Should I have her checked out ?
She was very uncomfortable
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 month ago.

Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

Does she had previous history of heart burn symptoms?

Does her pain increases upon exertion & relieves n rest?

Any pain or numbness radiating to left arm?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 month ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for coming back online.

The symptoms you have described of your 21 year old daughter having severe case of heart burn last night does not seem to be due to heart disease or anything serious.

Most probably & most likely this is suggestive of GERD(gastro esophageal reflux disease).It is a condition in which the esophagus becomes irritated or inflamed because of acid backing up from the stomach.Also there can be associated gastritis.

Give her tab. Pepto-Bismol 2tsf thrice a day after meals.Give her tab.Ranitidine(Zantac) 150 mg twice a day.Both these are available as over the counter (OTC)without a prescription & will help you greatly.Avoid smoking & alcohol consumption.Don't take fried,spicy,salty,chilly food items..All this will help her greatly to keep her symptoms of heart burn at bay.

If still after this,her symptoms persists.then she need to make an appointment with her doctor for tests like upper endoscopy and then prescription oral medications will be required accordingly.Usually & most likely,the symptoms gets subside with these treatments.

Thank you.

Hope this helped.

Is there is anything else that you would like to know? I am happy to address your follow-up questions. Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 month ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for coming back online.

Please see this picture & I am hopeful that this will help you in better understanding.

If you are done,then please leave a positive rating for my answer above the chat box.

If you still have any questions,please let me know..I am happy to address your follow-up questions.

Thank you.

God bless you & take care.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 month ago.

Just checking in to see how things are going.

How is your daughter symptoms now?Has she taken the medications?

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me.I am happy to help you.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh