Moe Zafarani
Moe Zafarani, Doctor
Experience:  Cardiology
54460990

Daughter received an artificial turf abrasion 6 days ago. It

Customer Question

Daughter received an artificial turf abrasion 6 days ago. It is roughly the diameter of an orange. We cleaned it and is using neosporin to help keep it from getting contaminated. It is still basically open and will bleed when she cleans it. Is there something we can do to help speed the healing process? Would a picture be helpful?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Moe Zafarani replied 1 month ago.

I'll be glad to help.

Please attach a picture if you're able to

Generally speaking, I would not recommend neosporin on open wound beyond 48 hours.

I would recommend trying an ointment with zinc oxide - such as calmoseptine to speed up the wound healing.

monitor the site for redness around it and colorful drainage (brown, yellow, green) which could indicate infection - in this case you will need urgent evaluation and possibly antibiotics.

warm regards,

Please don't forget to leave a positive rating if your question has been answered to your satisfaction.