Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

While paddling with my arms on a surf board, I felt a pop at

Customer Question

While paddling with my arms on a surf board, I felt a pop at the bottom left of my ribs. The pain was intense for two days - I took ibuprofen and used ice packs for 3 days and was feeling better. During the 3rd night... I awoke in the middle of the night with severe pain just below my sternum (had not felt pain there before). It felt extremely tight and painful for 2 hours - then stopped. The area of of the "pop" is still sore, but much better. Approximately 12 hours later - the pain below my sternum returned again and I felt nauseous, warm flash, and light headed. The pain lasted for about another hour then again subsided. However, I now feel constantly nauseous. I am taking 4mg of thiocolchicoside and 50 mg of codeine every 8 hours. Because I know how my pain started (from surfing), and it is most likely costochondritis - there is not much that a doctor can really do. However, the nausea is uncomfortable, and the on again - off again pain is confusing. I'm 44 year old male in good shape/condition. I am currently in a foreign country and about 3 hours from a decent medical facility. I did receive a soft massage today and that did help relieve the pain temporarily, but if I stand for more than 30 minutes I feel like I will vomit.
JA: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?
Customer: no headache. Nausea is episodic only in last 12 hours or so....no nausea prior to this (for first 3 days)
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: nope - no known allergies to anything
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
To add.... I am guessing that it is costochicoside... I have not been actually diagnosed with anything.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 8 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

you could have a rib fracture or popped out a rib out of position.

you should see a doctor at the hospital and get a rib xray series of xray and a chest xray to check your ribs.

a broken rib could be irritating your lungs or stomach.