Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

Someone asked if they could start on Testosterone

Customer Question

Someone asked if they could start on Testosterone replacement therapy after having a mechanical aortic valve put in, and you said yes. Mechanical heart valves require daily warfarin/Coumadin use and everything I've see says that testosterone and Coumadin have very serious interactions and are dangerous to be used together. Can you explain your logic here? I too, have just been diagnosed with Low T at only 32, and have a mechanical heart valve.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

there is a small increased risks for bleeding when adding testosterone and coumadin together

the combination can increase INR blood tests and increase risks for bleeding.

testosterone can be given with coumadin, but the blood test for coagulation and PT/PTT INR have to be monitored very very carefully.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That sounds contradictory. You say small risk, but then you say "very very carefully" I'm regard to monitoring. Sounds like more than a small risk? And is this information new? Why does everything else I've seen suggest the two drugs cannot be taken together.

this information is not new

the small risk for drug interaction is in all drug pharmacopeias.

all pharmacist know about it.

you can talk to your doctor

and about the risks and benefits of taking testosterone.

if your levels are low, you may benefit from a little testoterone.

or you can have clomid to help your testicles produce more of your own body's testosterone.