Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

What can be done for damage to lower spine, hard to walk,

Customer Question

what can be done for damage to lower spine, hard to walk
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: was in hospital a month, they said I need an operation but too dangerous, they gave no medications, said to just excerise.
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: none, just lipator
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I was fine be this happened, Iam 88 years old but from the waist up I feel 45
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 5 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually there are a few options for treating lower spine issues but it depends on the actual problem you have. Do you happen to have the MRI report with you? Or do you know if the damage was to the bones, the discs in teh spine? Any shooting pains in the legs? any numbness?

Since you seem to be offline, ill leave a response here which we can discuss later.

Now there are several other therapies which can be used in conditions affecting the lower back. The first one which has been found to be most effective is physiotherapy which you are already undergoing. This allows the muscles of the back to be strengthened which in turn would support the spine and prevent any pain or tingling which may be occurring because of it. The issue with this is that it takes time for it actually become effective. Now in the meantime, other treatments can be tried. The first one is epidural injections of steroids which will cause the inflammation in region to be decreased. This is very effective in many types of spinal injuries. Infact it can provide relief for upto 6 months in most cases. Another form of treatment can be TENS therapy which uses electrical current to stimulate the nerves and provide relief from the pain. This would be most effective if there is radiating pain in tho the legs or even numbness, tingling or burning in the legs. Other therapies can include use of painkillers which can be effective in managing the pain if surgery is not an option. Painkillers in combination with muscle relaxants can significantly improve the pain and thus improve the quality of life. Also if the nerves are involved , that radiofrequency ablation procedures can be done which can effectively manage the pain.

Now it would help if you can tell the exact nature of the damage and your symptoms as that will allow me to tell you which one of the above therapies would help you the most.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/