Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Urgent Care Physician
96392890

Can I use terbinafine hydrocholoride cream 1% antifungal

Customer Question

Can I use terbinafine hydrocholoride cream 1% antifungal cream in the tip of my penis for fungal infection. It is Sun mark Lamisil.
JA: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this? Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I've used Mystatis cream before and it is used. I am sure I have balanitis
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 1 month ago.

Hi Dr. Ashori here.

Yes, that's a safe product.

Use it for one week and then stop.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 1 month ago.

Terbinafine is the preferred product for men with fungal infections in the groin area.

It is what we would give to a patient with balanitis.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 1 month ago.

If there is a lot of redness or inflammation you can mix in a very small amount of hydrocrotisone 0.5% in with the terbinafine cream. But use the hydrocortisone cream for no more than 5 days. The terbinafine can be used for up to one week.

After that the area will still be a little red or discolored but it will take another 2 weeks for the skin to go back to 100% normal.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 1 month ago.

Please let me know if the information was helpful.

If you are worried that it's something other than balanitis you can upload a picture of the area of concern and I'm happy to review that as well.