Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, Doctor
Experience:  Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 yr experience: primary care, OBGYN & women's health care.
18657704

After taking antibiotics, I have had an experience with

Customer Question

After taking antibiotics, I have had an experience with bumps on top of the rear of the tongue with white tongue coating.It has now been 3 months and they have not gone away. I have the following symptoms: thin stools, I can't tolerate any food with glue in it, like xanthan gum. I felt constipated and took Metamucil, I have never felt what I felt. it was so unconformtable. today is day 2 and I still feel constipated with blood in the stool. I feel week and lack of energy, weight loss, foods particles in stool not properly digested. Are these colon symptom. or is this inflammatory bowel disease. as I speak, after the Metamucil, my colon feel inflamed to the anus. I am taking stool softner and suppositories. Please note that I have had a 3 days stool test with parasitology that revealed dysbiotic flora of entorobacter cloacae complex 4+ and Enterobacter cloacae complex, isolate 2 3+. I have been taking probiotics for almost 3 months now and no improvement. Are all my symptoms because of this infection and do I need antibiotcis to get rid of them and heal. Please help.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I am privileged to help you get more understanding about your current concern. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or Skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

It is very likely you have a Candidal infection, and this will not be cured by antibiotics; in fact it is caused by taking antibiotics. Whenever one takes antibiotics (ABX), not only does the ABX destroy the targeted bacteria it also destroys many other bacteria thus allowing the Candida to grow. Treatment involves using an anti-fungal, and avoiding ABX use unless absolutely necessary. There are anti-fungal rinses, but you will need a prescription to obtain it.

Your constipation is a sign that your intestinal tract (IT) is not working optimally. Everyone should be having 2-3 bowel movements a day. The lack of this can be due to a number of things: too little water, too litter vegetables in diet, too little fiber, too much caffeinated products (coffee, tea, soda, energy drinks). So I would recommend taking a close look at your dietary habits. The intestine has lots of good bacteria which help break down all the stuff we eat, since most people carry around 10-15 lbs of garbage in the intestines, most are not eliminating sufficiently to keep the IT working well.

You symptoms are related to an improperly working IT while the pro-biotics are a good start you have to look at your diet as discussed in the previous mentioned information. But your symptoms also may be due to insufficient exercise in your daily routine. You should be exercising 60+ minutes 5+ days a week. Exercise helps the bowel to function better.

So changing some habits will go a long way to clearing up the initial problem and your constipation.

Let me know if you have any further questions regarding this question as my goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied with your answer.