Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO

My daughter has a patch on her tummy

My daughter has a white patch on her tummy

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am board certified and I have 40 years of patient experience. I am happy to help you. I'm sorry your daughter has what may be vitiligo (loss of pigment in the skin, with sharp borders). It may also be a fungal infection that causes the skin not to tan while the surrounding skin does tan. How old is your daughter? Has she been swimming in any ponds or lakes? If it is fungal (yeast) application of a sulphur containing shampoo, such as Selsun can cure it easily. Apply to the skin before bed, let it dry and wash off in the morning. Do this for 7 nights then 3 times weekly for 2 weeks. After that, let her go in the sun. The skin should return to normal.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have. Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance. I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, please rate me with 5-Stars. Thank you

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hi Dr Stan we noticed the white patch on her abdomen when she was 6 weeks. She is now 10 weeks. There was no white patch when she was born. I am attaching a picture. I don't think the patch has changed. We don't have famil history of vitiligo. I learned something else called nevus depigmentosus. Could that be possible? Should I get wood lamp test to confirm diagnosis? The patch looks whiter than shown in the picture.

Thanks for the picture. This is not vitiligo, but may be ND. Try the Selsun, if that doesn't change the appearance, then ND is the most likely cause.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you for your quick response. The surface of the white patch is very smooth. Should fungal infection always be flaky? My family doctor suspected vitiligo. How do I get confirmation this is not vitiligo? Wood lamp test?

Skin is not rough or flaky Not this type of yeast. A Wood's lamp will confirm any fungus/yeast. Only a skin biopsy will confirm vitiligo.