Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Urgent Care Physician
96392890

I am experiencing constipation and took metamucil for the

I am experiencing constipation and took metamucil for the first time. it worsen my condition and i hard time having bowel movement. I then drank a lot of water and use suppositories and was finally relieved. I have notice blood stick to some part of the stool. I have been told that bright red blood is hemorrhoid, but this was not bright red as when I wiped I saw a bit. is this hemorrhoid?

Hi. Dr. Ashori here, please give me a moment to reply.

It likely isn't hemorrhoid but blood from being constipated.

If you have a strong episode of constipation it can be normal to have blood on the stool. It sometimes will be darker and sometimes lighter.

How many time have you noticed this blood now?

I would recommend waiting 2-3 days to see if you see any more blood.

If you don't see more blood and you don't experience any new pain then you are likely safe to not worry about it and it likely was the constipation.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i see it from episode to episode especially when constipated and feel like i am inflamed. it feels painful to have a bowel. i have seen it today only. usually when i address the constipation i don't see blood more than 2-3 days.i do have digestion issues after antibitics and my stool have been tiny pencils like for few years and can't allow myself constipated and watch food i eat because of this.so i decided metamucil. should i continue Metamucil
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i don't never have stomach pain

Metamucil is great but you should take it every day and take more of it.

It's very good for the intestines.

However I am not worried about the blood. I would wait 2-3 more days and see if it continues.

If it gets worse or continues it would be important to see your doctor.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks. what do you advise in terms of recommended dosage and water intake after that. I must have overdone it for the first time as I took within 6 hours 2X two table spoon and did not drink plenty of fluid.

It's always important to have 10:1 ratio. For every 1 part of metamucil you should have 10 parts water. However, you can take a lot, a very large amount, without having to worry about overdosing. Some patients need 1 teaspoon a day to be regular and others need 15 tablespoons, so keep increasing it until you are regular with bowel movements.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
okay thank you for all your help. one last question. why do I continue to see food particles in my stool. even after supplemented with digestive enzyme. I did a home test of baking soda to check my stomach acid.... I have a feeling that my stomach acid might be low? I understand the test is not reliable. I did for 3 days. could that be the case impacting my digestion?

Are you losing weight right now or is your weight stable?

Are you taking any fiber supplements? Usually undigested particles don't have much to do with acid, your intestines break down food not just with acid and enzymes but also due to the movement of the intestines, the churning or peristalsis as we call it.

I don't think the baking soda test is very accurate.

Sure, you are decreasing your acid in your stomach by taking the omeprazole but it might be needed because without it you might damage your lining. I'm sure you've already tried changing your diet around to avoid anything acidic before taking omeprazole.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
loosing. I was at 195 -200 before 3 months ago and now I am at 183-184. at one point i was at 179 when i stopped eating carb thinking that I have candida etc.. as i have blister on my tongue and some white coating on the tongue

You might have a food intolerance which might explain the blister and the coating.

As for the weight loss, again, I still don't think it has much to do with the acid reduction. Probably the nausea and the bloating and all the ill effects of this GERD and hiatal hernia.

Best thing you can do is control the acid with the medication and usually your intestines will normalize with time.

I guess I'm assuming that you are having GERD and hiatal hernia which goes along with having severe constipation.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what is GERD and hiatal hernia?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what medication do I take to control the acid

I think for now increase the fiber. The constipation likely isn't helping the weight loss.

If you end up experiencing a lot of acid reflux take some antacids such as the omeprazole, it would help with the constipation as well.

GERD is when excess acid builds up in the system and a hiatal hernia happens internally. It's nothing serious but usually patients who have a lot of constipation get this. It eventually calms down on its own once the constipation is controlled better.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
makes sense, my belly isn't bloated at all, just inflamed feeling inside. I try to eat more fiber at each meal. but will double, I have a feeling metamucil makes it worse and make me bloated even more but before i never had a bloated scenario. is there a type of constipation where you don't get boated but you are not regular and stool are tiny etc.

How much fiber are you taking every day right now?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I take fiber during lunch and dinner.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
food base only

Oh sure. There are forms of constipation where patients have no abnormal symptoms at all but only have a bowel movement every 2-3 weeks. It's actually not even considered abnormal medically unless they have discomfort.

Try changing to different fiber products. Some are less bloat inducing or full inducing than others. I know you don't feel bloated but that inflamed sensation isn't pleasant. I'm sure you can get rid of it.

If you are taking it 2x a day try taking it for breakfast too and increase the amount each time.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
usually veggies like kale, zucchini, chard, cabbage etc.. is there anything you recommend for fiber supplement that is not problematic

I'm a big believer in increase high fiber foods, especially:

• vegetables of any kind
  • cherries
  • strawberries
  • oranges
  • apples
  • prunes
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the inflamed sensation is actually worse when I take things that have gum in it or glu like food. like xanthin gum etc.. legume, lentils and other make it worse and also, because metamucil is glu like, I feel it's a culprit.
a serving is a cup so you recommend how many serving of fruit and how many serving of vegetable a day.
  • wheat dextrin is another one to try
  • Citrucel has methylcellulose
  • inulin is another good one for constipation
  • calcium polycarbophil is also out there

Try different ones, some are gonna be easier on you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i eat one avocado a day i forgot to mention that. okay

If a serving is a cup for someone with constipation usually you would need 5-10 cups of veggies or fruits a day.

Vegans normally consume 10 cups of veggies and fruits daily in order to get enough calories.

Avocado is great, not a whole lot of fiber, high in fat but very good for your health, continue with that.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ah I see, I also stopped a lot of fruits and sugar again because of candida i thought. now I will add those back in as we'll as eating up to 10 servings of fiber.

Gosh no, don't do that.

Don't worry too much about candida. Sure, you might get an occasional candida infection but your body can fight it off. I agree that too much simple carbs such as plain sugar and white bread probably isn't good for the system. Not only does bread bind you but it can also increase your insulin which could then cause you to get more candida infections. So continue with the fruits and veggies.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i never stopped the veggies. just the fruits. but will ad them back in. Could it be that my hernia in my instestine that's why i feel blockage sometimes and stool are tiny. Is there a medical procedure for it. or as you said it will go on it's own. it's just annoying and the weight loss worries me. Though now I am at 183 today from 179.

Well at least your weight has gone back up a little, so that's good. Don't be too worried, it might stabilize eventually.

As for the hernia, no, I don't recommend surgeries for that. There are surgeries for it but there is always risk of complication. With you having this constipation the best thing to do is to control the constipation first and I think you are getting there and doing a good job at it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is it worth seeking a GI help at this time. Also like I said I have never felt bloated, the only sign is thin stool and constipated when the wrong food is digested. to your point i have a constipation hidden inside of me right. which is good to know.

Yes, exactly there is that bit of constipation hidden. With more fiber it will eventually get dissolved and disappear.

I don't see a need for a GI doctor right now, that might be too early. I don't see what they would do for you right now.

Just keep an eye on the blood, if it changes just let me know.

Hope the information I provided was helpful.

If you have other questions please let me know.

When you are done please rate this post so that I can be paid for my work.