Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine

I take .25 mg Xanax once a day at night when I get anxiety

Customer Question

I take .25 mg Xanax once a day at night when I get anxiety from a cold. I intend to go one week this way..will that cause a addiction?
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: i have a history of not dealing with illness well.. i got the cold last wed..I get panic attack when i get sick ..Cant sleep because i imagine i wont get well.wake up scared..I started Xanax last night but so afraid f addition..Once the cold is gone it takes about two weeks to get back to normal sleep cycles..I try to do that with limited unisom but when it is ful blow i need the xanax
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: my meds are flomak and Benicar both low does....i am slim in good healh have borderline blood pressure issues due to heredity. benign enlarged prostate.. no real issues
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 7 days ago.

Thanks for this question and im sorry to hear about your situation. To simply answer your question, NO using xanax for just a week will NOT lead to the development of an addiction to the drug. Usually addiction would occur if you continue to use xanax for more than 2 weeks in some people however in most it would take upto 4 weeks of continuous usage to form an addiction. This is because xanax takes time in changing the chemistry of your brain and dependance usually takes time in developing.

However i would advise you to STOP taking xanax as soon as you can, meaning if you can do without it after 4-5 days then it would be best that you stop using it. So basically use it for only as long as necessary.

So in summary, NO using xanax for a week would not cause an addiction to the drug.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,