Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.

I have had a localized pain under my left shoulder blade for

Customer Question

I have had a localized pain under my left shoulder blade for the last 10 days. I feel well otherwise, but it hurts more when I sneeze or take a deep breath. I was investigating costochondritis vs. pleuresy. I have taken ibuprofen which helps a bit, but it's essentially the same as it was ten days ago.
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: Deep breaths and sneezing/coughing make it worse. Ibuprofen helps a little, but now much.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Well, I have moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis, fairly well managed with Enbrel and Methotrexate.
Submitted: 3 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 days ago.

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Uzair.
I am reviewing your post and will get back to your reply momentarily.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 days ago.

It is less likely to be costochondritis or pleuresy. It is most likely to be a muscular pain due to spasm. I would recommend you to take capsaicin cream over the area and take hot water bath and continue ibuprofen twice a day. It should get better in a week time and if persist then getting an x-ray chest would be next plan.

Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.