Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have a question about 'sighing" such as when breathing.

I have a question about 'sighing" such as when breathing. This last week when I take a deep breath and sigh I notice something different. This may be difficult to communicate exactly what is going on. So normally when I sigh, it is one big breath in and out. I am noticing the sigh consisting of 2 deep breaths, like one on top of the other. Each time I sigh, It is almost like a stutter 2 sighs on top of each other. Hopefully this makes sense. I am wandering what would cause this? I never had it before this week.

It does not sound to me to be a worry ...

Habit or tic of sorts I more think...

I hope that this is helpful ..

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns!

Best Regards ,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It just feels weird, because normally I just have one breath in a sigh and this week everytime I sigh I seem to do a double sigh back to back. I have also felt a little more winded lately, having more PVC and PAC lately. Just thought something may be going on. I am premenopausal also. Have you heard of being winded as part of menopause symptom?

Hello again,

I do not think the sense of a double sigh had any sign or warning from a medical standpoint >> no to that

PVCs or PACs may be a common but are harmless

You may benefit tot reduce these with a simple magnesium supplement of magnesium oxide 250 to 400 mg per day .. harmless and usually helps.

No shortness of breath is not typical menopause and may warrant discussing further with your doctor

Let me know id you have further questions

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

If you are feeling more tired or "winded" then you may have your blood checked for anemia /iron deficiency

I would have you check a pulse ox at rest and then after a walk... (screens for pulmonary problems such as asthma for example)

It could be matter of deconditioning if you don't get regular exercise ...

It is not an EXPECTED MENOPAUSE symptom though....

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Blood tests show no anemia. This feeling of windedness comes and goes. I have been doing 12 minutes on the treadmill for about a month now, but still I don't feel much different. Today I could hardly walk up 2 flights of stairs without my heart starting to go fast. Came home from a lunch engagement and arms and legs were super fatigued, starting having some chills. Just very weak. I use to get similar attacks back in my 20s when I was diagnosed with ebv. I still am showing that I have chronic Epstein barr virus. I also have a slightly elevated gamma globulin which I have had for years. No dr has ever been able to give me an exact diagnosis. My arms are so fatigued I can't hold them over my head for more than a minute if that. Today was the worst. Severity of symptoms come and go. This windedness has been more prevalent this week. I am just wandering how much of this is related to menopause. I am going through the transitions as a 51 year old. I have read about Crashing Fatigue. That is what I felt like I may have experienced today. Difficult to tell based on my history if I am in a flair or is this just menopausal. I am just wandering with elevated gamma globulins, if there isn't something they have missed along the way.

Hello again,

Yes chronic mono might cause ongoing fatigue..

You may be checked for an autoimmune disease = Myasthenia Gravis which causes rapid tiring on exertion.. may be checked with a blood test ...

Elevated gamma globulins? That may be that you had an SPEP = Serum protein electrophoresis ?

Screens for autoimmune disease..

12 minutes on treadmill will tire most if not well conditioned so it is hard for me to say that is abnormal ..

(Most people doing standard stress test are just walking on treadmill with mild incline and most are tired in less than 8 minutes and reach target 85% heart rate...)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The 12 minutes I am doing is a gradual increase within 3 min. To 2.8.i stay at 2.8 for 7 minutes then slow down. I plan is to add 1 minuter per week. With my history it has always been challenging to exercise but I continue to try. I don't have evidence of autoimmune diseases. Been tested. I feel this shortness of breath when I exhale like my exhale is shortened. What could that be? I have been reading where women going thr menopause say they have shortness of breath. Have you heard of this being a symptom?

Hello again,

No I don't connect shortness of breath to menopause , not specifically a symptom...

It could be bronchospasm /asthma type >> you could have spirometry >> that would evaluate you for pulmonary problems

A rest pulse oximetry vs an exertional pulse oximetry may be very helpful

I think that the exercise plan is reasonable

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I believe I had a resting oximetry if that is the device that fits over the finger. Normal for that. One more thing that I found odd. My dr did a hepatitis c screening just because it is recommended for baby boomers. I had a false positive result in the screening. I was reading that a false positive on that particular test is very rare and the only reason for such a reading is that something is going on in the body to cause this. In other wards, I may have something undiagnosed causing this type of result. Have you heard this?

You may have a PCR HEP C viral count to settle the issue

I would advise the follow up test

It would be possible to have false positive antibody test

I don't know if you might have have some past HEP C exposure vs a false positive but I more suspect that you would have had severe past illness ( nausea plus vomiting plus jaundice plus right side abdominal pain)

So it is most often not a subtle illness (But that can vary .. a smouldering infection is a possible...)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
after I had the positive reading for the first screening, my dr followed up and did the more extensive screening which was negative. The conclusion was I don't have hepatitis c. I was just wandering why I had a positive reading on the first test.

The antibody tests can be false positives because our immune system produces many antibodies and these may be be very similar so the immune response to one infection may mimic another when the test for the antibody protein is run ...

It is similar in nature to the occasional strep infection that crosses over to an autoimmune disease of rheumatic fever .. it is a cross reactivity of the antibodies..

So the confirmation tests that you are NEGATIVE for HEP C is the main thing..

I can't specifically tell you as to what may have produced the HEP C antibodies but the main thing is that you are indeed NEGATIVE for the HEP C infection !!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am glad that the hep c was negative but feel like there are some other active antibodies causing the test to be positive and would like to pinpoint what is going on. I have had symptoms for years and never had a concrete answer. This false positive test confirms that something may be going on.

Hello again,

You have tons of these proteins --- antibodies in your blood at all times

The test is looking for antibodies that stick to antigen that would be same as the HEP C virus -- you may have a set of antibodies that cross react to the test antigen ...this cross reacting happens

I can't give you a specific reason for the false positive but it is good that your HEP C is negative with more specific confirmation of this infection --- that I think is the important bot***** *****ne is that you do not have HEP C infection

The false negative does not imply that you have any problem or disease though

Don't worry about that aspect ...

I hope that this is helpful for you

Let me know if I may be of further help

Best regards!

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This is what I read online. This excerpt makes it sound as if people who test positive falsely may have these other issues."The problem is that antibodies that the immune system has produced to combat infections other than hep C can be what’s known as “cross-reactive”: The ELISA winds up picking up on these antibodies’ presence and incorrectly coming up positive. Research has shown, for example, that people are much more likely to test false positive if they’re living in areas of Africa where exposure to infectious diseases such as worms is more common. “There are a myriad of things than can infect you, particularly in areas where you don’t have a lot of sanitation and clean water,” says Oliver Laeyendecker, PhD, an infectious disease researcher at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases"

Hello again,

You are reading meaning into a false positive result which does not lead to any specific conclusion.

For example a study that might find a higher # of false positives in a population in an area within Africa does not place you in this locale in Africa!

It is a backwards type logic ...

There is no conclusion to be made of the false positive for you

Do not let it worry you !!

I hope that this is helpful for you

Let me know if I may be of further help

Please remember to leave positive feedback on this thread

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD