Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

What are the causes of a Heart Murmur besides Aortic Valve

Customer Question

What are the causes of a Heart Murmur besides Aortic Valve stenosis?
JA: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: I am in good health. I do have Disbetes but it is under control with N1C o6.9 and high blood pressure which is controlled by my Cradiologist with medicine
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Had childhood asthma, total nysterectomy in 1979
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 6 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

there are many potential causes for heart murmur

innocent murmur can occur when blood flows more rapidly than normal through the heart. Conditions that may cause rapid blood flow through your heart, resulting in an innocent heart murmur, include Physical activity or exercise, Pregnancy, Fever, Not having enough healthy red blood cells to carry adequate oxygen to your body tissues (anemia), hyperthyroidism

why do you think you have a heart murmur?

how old are you?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My cardiologist mentioned that he hears a heart murmur and wants to see me again in January for possible testing. I am 77. No heart disease in my family, only hypertension.

I see.

have you had a cardiac echo before?

this can see a lot of structural information in your heart

and can see if you have valve related heart murmur.

you can ask your primary care doctor for blood testing for hyperthyroidism and anemia blood testing

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
had an "echo" a few months ago and he was satisfied with the results. When he mentioned the heart murmur in August, he ruled out aortic valve stenosis ( my husband had that surgery in 2012 so I asked about the aortic valve immediately.

I see.

it sounds like you are worried about this heart murmur

you should call up your doctor and ask for a sooner follow up and testing to find out why you have this murmur

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not worried as much as just curious as to what factors could cause it. Thanks for your help.

you are welcome

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com