Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I had a PET scan on October 4th. They were looking for

Customer Question

I had a PET scan on October 4th. They were looking for Uterine, Cervical cancer - they found it and surgery is scheduled. Good to go. However, my husband just pointed out an unusally large, dark spot in my scalp. I've had melanoma before (1999) and have gone for annual checkups. The PET scan notes say that it was a PET CT Whole Body and the Dr's notes say "Head and neck: There is no suspicious uptake in the brain head or neck. There is homogeneous uptake in the thyroid bilaterally compatible with benign uptake. My husband is freaked and wants me at the dermatologist today! I say, I just had a PET scan - there is no cancer there. Should I be pursuing this? Betsy
JA: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Melanoma on my back in 1999. No other surgeries, very little medication - pravastatin and methimazole (every other day - low dose - Graves Disease.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am a cancer doctor

I would get a copy of your PET/CT scan report. I would be happy to review it with you

evaluation of the skin by a dermatologist is best to look for melanoma on your skin, much better than a PET/CT scan

I need the report to know what this "large dark spot" is

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'll schedule the dermatologist. The report does. It refer to the spot. Thanks Betsy

did your husband look at your scalp?

do you have a dark skin mole or skin lesion on your scalp?