Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

Am a 35 year old male. I have been having stomach and

Customer Question

am a 35 year old male. I have been having stomach and digestive issues. To make this easier, I will list my time line/symptoms and what tests I've had done thus far.Symptoms: periods of nausea, periods of excessive belching, weight loss (15 lbs in 20 days) I was 290 now 275, loss of appetite, sporadic mild to moderate pain indifferent parts of my abdomen and back on both sides upper and lower (mostly upper)
Excessive stomach rumbling/gurgling at random times, tired, lightheaded. My bowel movements have been sporadic but mostly soft/mushy like pudding or diarrhea.. mostly bright yellowish in color or light tan/orangish that sometimes has floating pieces. Most all bms have had some forms of mucous to them.Tests I've had..
Stool samples for occult blood, c.diff, parasites, and bacterial.
Blood Test for H. Pylori
Multiple CBCS
Multiple comprehensive metabolic panels
CT scan of abdomen with contrast
CT scan of Chest
Ultrasound of Gallbladder and liver and pancreas
In April of 2015 I had colonoscopy and endoscopy
I did have polyps and fatty liver
Hepatic Function PanelEverything is coming back excellent except fatty liver and for a vitamin D was at 24.5...slightly low. I have access to dates and numbers.Most of the bad symptoms came 10 days after I took 11 days of antibiotics for abcess tooth. Now, I have been taking Align probiotic for over a week with no change.Any thought as to what this could be? I'm going crazy over this
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 month ago.

Dear customer,

Thank you for your question.

With these symptoms and the negative results I would say that the causative factor is either irritable bowel syndrome or due to the peripheral manifestation of anxiety.

Take care.

It is a privilege answering your question.
Thank you.
Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please rate the answer with a positive rating of 5 stars, because this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for our time and work.
Wishing you all the very best in life.
May you be happy, successful, and healthy.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Even the weight loss? I have been at my wits end trying to figure this out.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Maybe I'm the one not listening as this seems to be the general consensus with other doctors.

Dear customer,

Thank you for your reply.

Are you taking an adequate diet or have you have had loss of appetite and as a consequence not taking your regular diet?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have had a loss of appetite.i have eaten quite a bit less than my usual diet. I also have cut soda out totally. I've just had water for the most part. But mostly because of my symptoms.

Dear customer,

Thank you for your reply.

Then these actions and symptoms would account for the loss of weight. If you have not had thyroid function tests done then I would advice them.

Take care.

Thank you.
Wishing you all the very best in life.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did have TSH levels done. With IBS and anxiety, have you seen patients with these kind of symptoms/weight loss?

Dear customer,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I have seen patients suffering from IBS who had weight loss since they were not eating adequately. However this was minor weight loss and which could be clearly attributed to the reduced intake.

Take care.

Thank you.
Wishing you all the very best in life.

Dear customer,

Have you had tests to measure fat in stool? Has malabsorption been considered by your doctors?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No I haven't. My doc does want to do a HIDA scan but didn't think the fecal fat test was necessary because of all of the other tests I've had done. A lot of the symptoms I get seem to be worse in the morning. Like I woke up and within a half hour I began feeling nauseated and had a sudden urge for a B.M.My bowels have seeming only been in the morning lately. I haven't had diarrhea in 4 days now but the stool is still very soft and light tan in color. Only like 1 or 2 tiny floating pieces.Also I'm somewhat nauseated with a rumbling stomach and excessive belching this morning too. Which has been most mornings.

Dear customer,

What you are describing are some of the classic symptoms of IBS, and the most patients have alternating episodes of constipation and diarrhea. I would suggest consulting your doctor about a low FODMAP diet which you may try since this is beneficial in most patients with IBS. There is no harm in trying this diet to see if your symptoms improve.

Take care.

Thank you.
Wishing you all the very best in life.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I guess my question about is this. Even though all I've eaten in past 12 hours was a banana at 1130pm last night. It's normal to wake up on an empty stomach and have to have a B.M. within a half hour and have excessive belching and nausea? I truly appreciate your help.

Dear customer,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes this is normal to have a low volume B.M. as soon as you wake up if you are suffering from IBS.

Take care.

Please do not forget to rate the answer with 5 stars.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it was a softer stool but not diarrhea. Also, stomach rumbling, and making constant squishing noises along with belching and nausea.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Without anything in stomach

Dear customer,

Yes a low volume stool which is soft with your other symptoms may occur in IBS.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with a five star rating.

Thank you.