Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine

I've been having issues with chest pain particularly in the

Customer Question

Hi. So I've been having issues with chest pain particularly in the left pectoral region after I went swimming with my friend a month back. It still has slight aches and pains after a whole month and some odd feelings in my chest. I also have heart palpitations so those happen every so often too. I went to the doctor and he said it was just a sprained muscle... Should I still be concerned after a month of pain?
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 6 days ago.

Hi Samuel. I don't think you need to be worried quite yet. The pectoral muscles are major swimming muscles and can easily become strained, particularly if one swims after not swimming for a long period of time. Because they have a broad insertion onto the chest wall and are used every time we use our arms, they are difficult to rest. Because of this a strained muscle group or a few torn fibers can take a long time to heal the order of 6-8 weeks, possibly longer if reinjured during lifting, push-ups, pull- ups, swimming, throwing, etc. As long as you feel things are slowly improving (e.g. less frequency or less severity), you can give this type of injury more time. If things were to worsen, you would want to be evaluated by your family doctor again.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I have another question as well. I hope u don't mind. I weigh in a 279 5'11 would any chest pain do u think would be slightly related to my diet?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 6 days ago.

No, chest pain would not be related to diet.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 5 days ago.

Do you have any follow up questions?

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 day ago.

If you have no more questions, Samuel, please don't forget to provide a positive rating. This is the only way that I get get compensated for helping you. Thanks.