Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I need to ask a shoulder/bicep surgeon a question about a

Customer Question

I need to ask a shoulder/bicep surgeon a question about a survey I just had
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I had surgery 14 days ago on my shoulder and bicep
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No, only question is I played laser tag yesterday and I don't know if I messed up my bicep
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 month ago.

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Uzair.
I am reviewing your post and will get back to your reply momentarily.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 month ago.

Can you tell me what kind of surgery you had on the biceps/shoulder?

Your age and gender?

And did you develop any recent onset symptoms like pain, swelling or functional deficit following the game of laser tag?

Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Male, 43, bicep short tendon near the shoulder was fixed and bicep tear fixed the upper part, also a partial tear in rotatory cuff and labrum. Surgery 14 days agoAfter playing laser tag my bicep has no more strength and feels like it has a charlie horse, where the bruising was after the surgery, but No swelling. I definitely over exerted myself bc even my legs are sore. So I want to know did I damage my surgery or did I just over extend myself
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 month ago.

Hi and thank you for the details.

After such an extensive procedure, the surgeon usually applies a splint to the shoulder like a U-slab with an extension block on the elbow. The movement is to be restricted for 6 to 8 weeks, you exerted too soon and too much, if the area is sore and has lost strength (functional deficit) then this needs to be evaluated for a recurrence of the tear. I would advise that you schedule an appointment with your Surgeon as soon as possible or at least for now contact him/her by phone.

Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you think i retore it? Is it that easy to do
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the reply.

That is why splint is given because the repair is very sensitive and tears are caused easily during first 2 weeks so the possibility of having torn it again should be ruled out.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was told take if off next day after surgery i had a great rehab for 12 days full range of motion but yesterday i over exerted it now arm feels sore and dead u think its ripped
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 month ago.

There is a strong possibility of having torn it. Having a good early range of movements does not mean that the repaired tendon is ready for heavy exertion. At least 3 months should be given before such vigorous activity is undertaken.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes