Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

70 years old have yellow stools as a baby and have

Customer Question

70 years old have yellow stools as a baby and have uncontrollable burpeing
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: doc said could be a burn out medication apo pravastatin ,apo zopiclone
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: take one of each daily not that I am aware
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: not that I know
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 month ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Just to confirm, your current issue is excessive burping? Also do you have burning sensations in the chest? Any worsening of symptoms after lying down? Any change in color of stools NOW like black colored stools? Do you smoke? Do you drink alcohol? These questions will help me determine what can be the cause here

Since you seem to be offline, ill leave a response here which we can discuss later on.

The first thing which comes to mind after hearing about your symptoms is that you could have GERD or acid reflux. This is a condition in which you could develop excessive burping, burning sensations in the abdomen and chest, metallic taste in the mouth, dry cough as well as worsening of symptoms usually on lying down at night. Now this disease can be easily diagnosed on a simple clinical examination and if needed an endoscopy can be done as well. The treatment is a mixture of simple home measures which can be used to control the symptoms along with OTC medications or stronger medications if they dont work. The things you can try at home are the following,

• Maintain a healthy weight. Excess pounds put pressure on your abdomen, pushing up your stomach and causing acid to back up into your esophagus. If your weight is healthy, work to maintain it.
  • Avoid tight-fitting clothing. Clothes that fit tightly around your waist put pressure on your abdomen and the lower esophageal sphincter.
  • Avoid foods and drinks that trigger heartburn. Everyone has specific triggers. Common triggers such as fatty or fried foods, tomato sauce, alcohol, chocolate, mint, garlic, onion, and caffeine may make heartburn worse. Avoid foods you know will trigger your heartburn.
  • Eat smaller meals. Avoid overeating by eating smaller meals.
  • Don't lie down after a meal. Wait at least three hours after eating before lying down or going to bed.
  • Elevate the head of your bed. especially at night, raising the head of the bed by 6-9 inches would suffice in most patients.
  • Don't smoke. Smoking decreases the lower esophageal sphincter's ability to function properly.

At the same time you can use OTC prilosec to control the burping as well. Use OTC probiotics like culturelle which will promote the growth of good bacteria in your stomach and gut which in turn will decrease the burping. Lastly if this doesnt improve after 2 weeks of using these measures then you should undergo an endoscopy.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/