Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
93248684

Looking for treatments for granular pharyngitis - my docs

Customer Question

Looking for treatments for granular pharyngitis - my docs seem to think I should just live with it.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes, multiple. Not taking anything orally but doing saline rinse 3 x day, Nefrin (sp?) 1x day (did Afrin 1x day for 5 days), and then bacitricin (sp?) after the saline rinse. It's been 2 years.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Winter 2014 had enlarged right tonsil and staph/strep infection. CT of sinus showed nothing. Augmentin (3 rounds) didn't help. Constant draining in throat. Tonsillectomy August 2015. Left side perfect, lots of granulation on right side. That doc said "don't know - see ya" even though I had bright gold discharge from throat. Went to another one - had diptheroid colonies in sinuses - gave me Levofloxin for 21 days - helped, but still have chronic discomfort and thick mucous from granular area.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Are you having any breathing problems?
Customer: 2 years. No breathing problems. Discomfort and gunk. Recent culture was negative after diptheroid treated with antibiotics, but it doesn't take care of the discomfort and thick mucous (it doesn't burn as much, but still doesn't feel good).
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 month ago.

Dear customer,

Thank you for your question.

Are you exposed to cigarette smoke? Any other irritant or allergen? Have you had investigations such as endoscopy of the esophagus and stomach done? Do you also have symptoms of sinusitis and common cold?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No exposure to smoke & a never smoker. Had stomach endoscopy & no issues. Tried GERD & LRD medications - no improvements. Some stuffiness at times but not always. No common cold symptoms. Doc said granular pharyngitis - but no advise or treatment....googling laser treatments ??
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Please don't respond any more. Thought it was $5 not $29. Will be objecting to charge., but please don't do any more charges since you didn't answer my question anyway
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 1 month ago.

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am board certified and I have 40 years of patient experience. I am happy to help you. I'm sorry to hear that you are having this chronic throat problem. I see that you had investigated possible causes such as GI. You state that you don't smoke nor were you exposed to smoke. No allergies either. So, what's left? This may be due to a mechanical problem in your sinus cavities. Before investigating Laser treatment, you need to determine a cause. I suspect you will find it to be mechanical. Request a MRI of your sinus cavities, if positive then a visit to an ENT for possible sinus surgery.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have. Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance. I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, please rate me with 5-Stars. Thank you