Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor, PGCSD(dermatology)
6740150

My Husband is 76 in over all good health for his age, on no

Customer Question

My Husband is 76 in over all good health for his age, on no meidcations other than 325 aspirin at night and 25 mg benadril at night. He had a spontanious nose bleed yesterday that was hard to stop, and again this morning for about 40 min. We live 2 hrs from Hospital. His blood pressure is low for him... and his heart rate sounds normal, but slightly agitated with worry, and sort of weak. What should I do? He wants me to go buy a can of asparagus to thicken his platelets....
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 5 months ago.

Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern about your husband's nose bleeding:

Does he have any history of recent nasal allergy or congestion in nose?

Is there any headache?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 5 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for coming back online.

The symptoms you have described about your husband of having spontaneous nose bleed yesterday and again this morning for about 40 min is of concern.

Irritation due to a cold or viral infection can cause a bloody nose. The nose is filled with numerous blood vessels, and many of these are thin and are on the surface of the inside of the nose. It takes very little damage to break one of these blood vessels which can lead to bleeding.

Keep his head elevated and just relax until the bleeding stops.An ice pack across the bridge of the nose can restrict blood vessels and aid clotting.

If still the bleeding persists or he had already tried these then take him to Emergency Room(ER) for necessary treatment accordingly.

Asparagus is high in calcium that promote clotting,but as he is having severe bleeding now,this should not be treated at home and he should be taken to hospital.

Also he should temporarily stop taking the aspirin.

Thank you.

Hope this helped.

Is there is anything else that you would like to know? I am happy to address your follow-up questions. Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 5 months ago.

Just checking in to see how things are going. How is his condition of bleeding from nose?

Was he taken to hospital?

Do you need further assistance?Is there anything else that you would like to know?

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me.I am happy to help you.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh