Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine

What is a ventrical hernia & the healing period after

Customer Question

What is a ventrical hernia & the healing period after surgery in which a mesh was put in place ?
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: No I have already had surgery. just want to see a picture of what it looks like & want to know the healing period. I have RA & this is my 23rd surgery for something
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No other than I have RA & am on lots of meds
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 8 days ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. My name is***** and i am reviewing your question and will get back to you with a response ASAP!!!

Well i think you mean to say Ventral hernia or incisional hernia .A ventral hernia is a bulge (of tissues) through an opening, or defect, within the abdominal wall muscles. It can occur at any location on the abdominal wall. Many are called incisional hernias because they often form at the healed site of past surgical incisions where the skin has become weak or thin.

I will attach pictures of the hernia in this message. regarding the healing process it can take upto 6 weeks for the mesh to fully close the abdominal wall defect. During this time care has to be taken not to increase the intraabdoinal pressure which means you shoudl not lift anything heavy or strain too much during bowel movements, especially in the first two weeks. It takes 4-6 weeks for the muscles around the mesh to grow into it and thus form a criss cross arrangement of soft tissue which closes off the defect.

You can find two pictures of hernias attached with this response.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

Would you like to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.