Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My son ran his first marathon today. After 20 miles the

My son ran his first marathon today. After 20 miles the right side of his knee started getting shooting pains in which he describes was on the bone... not a cramp. It was very painful to bend his knee and put pressure on it. What could this be and how do we stretch it out?

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Uzair.
I am reviewing your post and will get back to your reply momentarily.

It is most likely a condition called Patellofemoral pain syndrome (PFPS), or runner's knee, it's common among runners. The stress of running can cause irritation where the kneecap (patella) rests on the thighbone.Avoid knee-bending activities, canted surfaces, and downward stairs and slopes until the pain subsides. Apply ibuprofen cream and crepe bandage over the area and take tylenol for pain relief. If the pain persist and is severe in nature see your doctor to rule out any injury.

Hope this helps.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Anything he can do before the race next time to avoid the issue? Any prevention?

Thanks for the reply.

Prevention includes stretching exercises and gradual build up of mileage while training and wearing comfortable shoes.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Fast response and perfect advice.

Thank you. My pleasure to help you.