Moe Zafarani
Moe Zafarani,
Experience:  Cardiology at Department of Veteran's Affairs

Whats the level of risk for HIV infection if I rubbed a

Customer Question

Whats the level of risk for HIV infection if I rubbed a woman's vagina (no penetration only on the ourside) with a recent finger stick injury from checking my blood glucose (I'm a diabetic). The needles tick was 15-20 min old and was not bleeding as fa as I can tell. This happened 2 days ago. Would PEP be recommended.
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Moe Zafarani replied 6 days ago.

I'll be glad to help.

While I can give you probability of the situation, as you know there's no guarantee in medicine and PEP is ALWAYS the safer route.

For HIV transmission, you need body fluid and/or blood contact. Needle stick from glucose checks are rather tiny produce blood with compression of the tissue - it would be theoretically possibly that even with touching blood could have been excreted and there was blood-body fluid contact.

My recommendation would be for PEP.

Best wishes,

Please don't forget to leave a positive rating if the question has been answered to your satisfaction.

Also feel free to let me know if you have more questions.

Warm regards,