Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine

I'm 72 Iwas wondering what would cause testicles to slowly

Customer Question

i'm 72 Iwas wondering what would cause testicles to slowly enlarge one is larger than the other now
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: no , I take heart meds and Ihave a pacemaker
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: 4 fish oil caps am 2 and pm2, 1prilosic, 1asprin, 1atrovastin, 1carvedilol twice daily, 1lisinopril, 1hydrachlorothizide, 1 zetia I am not allergic to amy meds that i am aware of
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I do have heart trouble and a pace maker implanted
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 9 days ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask do you have any pain in the region? Any discoloration? How long has this developed over?

Since you seem to be offline, ill leave a response here which we can discuss later on.

Well from what you are describing you seem to have developed a condition which is known as hydrocele. this is a benign condition in which there is accumulation of fluid within the scrotum and the testes due to a number of underlying causes. Usually, the only indication of a hydrocele is a painless swelling of one or both testicles. Adult men with a hydrocele might experience discomfort from the heaviness of a swollen scrotum. Pain generally increases with the size of the inflammation. Sometimes, the swollen area might be smaller in the morning and larger later in the day. A hydrocele can develop as a result of injury or inflammation within the scrotum. Inflammation might be caused by an infection in the testicle or in the small, coiled tube at the back of each testicle (epididymitis). Now the diagnosis is made clinically and with the help of a scrotal USG. Once diagnosed this would be managed with either conservative care as most hydroceles disappear on their own within 6 months or with a small surgical procedure to drain the excess fluid.

Another possibility here is that of varicocele which is a condition in which there are obvious dilated veins over the scrotum which can lead to swelling. Again an ultrasound would be diagnostic and treatment is again with various surgical options.

Given you cardiac history it is possible the fluid is accumulating because of the inadequate function of the heart and if so that can be managed with increasing the dose of your diuretics and adjusting your other medications. however if the swelling is painful and tender as well or accompanied by urinary symptoms like burning, discoloration, frequency etc then it would need urine examination and cultures followed by antibiotic therapu.

I would suggest a clinical examination and also an ultrasound to confirm the diagnosis.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,