Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I had a molar pulled last week and filled a prescription for

Customer Question

I had a molar pulled last week and filled a prescription for Percocet. My Dentist gave me another two prescriptions. I filled one and he said if I run out, simply date the other one and fill it. Someone told me that this is not legal. I dated it, but you can tell it's not the doctor's handwriting. I still have a lot of throbbing. Should I bother trying to fill it. I don't want to be embarrassed.
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: No. I take oxicodone for chronic pain, but can't use them for dentristry or I'll run short. Allergies to penecilin and tetracyclines.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Both my pain management doc and my dentist know me for a good 20 years. My dentist is aware of the other prescriptions I take. The pharmacist told me last time I filled it, don't take the Percocet with the oxycodone. I wouldn't even if he didn't tell me.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

it is illegal for your doctor or dentist to give you a prescription without a date on it.

he should not be letting you date the prescription yourself.

this will not get you in trouble, but could get your doctor in trouble.