Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor ( General Medicine)

I have just had some blood tests and they have all come

Customer Question

Hi I have just had some blood tests and they have all come back
JA: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?
Customer: normam but serum alanin has come back at 49. I have looked on the internet at blood panel and it is saying that it may be cancer. I thought it maybe was because I am on amitriptyline but they said if it was that the levels would be higher. Also I take paracetamol every day could it be this. I am a female age 40 and not overweight.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I had jaundice when I was pregnant but had tests since then and also I take 200 amitritpyline and fulpentixol for depressions. I have the merena coil.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 8 days ago.
Welcome to the site.
Do you have any symptoms ?
When we the last Liver function test done and what was the serum alanine value in that ?
How long back did you get jaundice ?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi it was a while ago so I don't know do you think it could be cancer if all other tests were normal? No I went to drs for ecg and that was normal as had heart thudding and palpitations do you think it could be my medication?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Also I had cholestatic jaundice when I was pregnant 7 years ago and had tests done since and nothing showed up.
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 7 days ago.
Well, based on only serum alanine aminotransferase levels one cannot be diagnosed with cancer, besides the level of serum alanine aminotransferase is slightly raised in your case ( females it is normal upto 35 ), plus rest of your blood tests are normal and you have no symptoms, so basically the chances of cancer seem to be negligible. So relax and do not panic , a slight increase in alanine aminotransferase levels can come out occasionally and they can get reversed with time. You shall get this test repeated again after 1-2 months and see if the levels have come down. Usually, this test indicates if there is any liver damage or injury but this test is not confirmatory plus like yours a slight increase in the levels would not indicate a major problems.
However, having said that if you still have apprehension then you may get an Ultrasonography of whole abdomen or MRI scan brain, this would lay to rest all of your fears regarding cancer.
I hope this helps.
Wish you all the best.
Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.