Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS.MD

My creatine level is 176 and im told i have chronic kidney

Customer Question

my creatine level is 176 and im told i have chronic kidney disease. What level of chronic kidney disease would that be. I am a 54 year old man.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: yes i have a kidney doctor, but he won't be avalible until monday. can you help me out?
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: i don't smoke or drink. i was on lithum for 20 years which might have resulted in some kidney damage. i have high blood pressure which is under control with medicine.
JA: When was last time you had a check up? Is there a history of high blood pressure in your family?
Customer: i had a check up two weeks ago. that's when they mentioned i have 176 creatinine level. my dad had heart disease after 70. no history on my moms side. my dad was a love child and we don't know his relatives.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 12 days ago.

Chronic kidney disease is graded by the GR Glomerular Filtration rate. This is the rate at which the kidneys filer out waste products from the blood. Lower the GFR, higher the kidney damage.

The GFR is calculated from the creatinine level. Creatinine is a major waste product formed due to metabolism of proteins. If the creatinine level in the blood is high, it indicates that the kidneys have not been able to filter out waste effectively from the blood. So, the higher the creatinine levels, the lower the GFR.

The normal creatinine levels should be 74 - 107, although there may be some variations.

At 176, your creatinine level is quite high. Although other blood levels like BUN and protein levels should also be considered, a creatinine level of 176 is likely to give you a GFR of about 15. This will to put you at stage 4 or Stage 5 of Kidney damage.

This is quite serious and you need to be under active medical care.

I hope this helps.

Please click on a positive rating to leave feedback.