Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I woke one morning about a week ago with sever pain, first

Customer Question

I woke one morning about a week ago with sever pain, first shooting, now more like a soreness on top of a rib bine but still underneath my breast, swelling in my breast. Persay where the bra lies. The pain is worse when I laugh or couph or bend over. It does not radiate anywhere but that direct spot. It's where the crease of the bottom of the brest is. And is almost dead center in between center of chest and the side. It is alleviated when I take my bra of and leave it off for a few hours but stil pretty severe. I am a 38E and have been approved for a breast reduction but have not gotten it. I do not have any other symptoms to go along but pain. It hurts most with movement and heavy lifting more so than anything.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 month ago.

Dear customer,

Thank you for your question.

What is the size of the swelling in your breast? Is it firm or soft? Since when is it present?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
About the size of a golf ball or 2 fingers and it's soft. It's been present about 4days now
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It feels like I have a cracked rib about 3rd rib. Hurts to reach or lift n felt like rib shifted when I was bending yesterday

Dear customer,

Thank you for your reply.

This pain is likely due to costochondritis (inflammation of the cartilage that connects a rib to the breastbone) which can cause a sharp, aching or pressure-like pain and usually located on the front of the chest, but can radiate to the back, abdomen, arm or shoulder. This pain can worsen when taking a deep breath or cough. Please refer the below link to know more about this condition:

http://patient.info/health/costochondritis

To relieve the pain you may take medications such as Ibuprofen and also do stretching exercises which can be taught to you by a physical therapist. However for any chest pain which is new it is advisable to consult your doctor who can do a physical examination to rule out any cardiac or lung condition causing the pain.

The breast swelling also needs an examination by your doctor. This may be due to fat necrosis in your case because of its sudden onset. However other conditions causing swelling in the breast need to be also considered by your doctor.

Take care.

It is a privilege answering your question.

Thank you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating of 5 stars, because this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for our time and work.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

May you be happy, successful, and healthy.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay, what other conditions can cause the knot please. And they are not associated?

Dear customer,

Thank you for your reply.

Another condition is fibrocystic breast where swelling can occur which is lumpy or rope-like in texture. This is a very common condition and majority of women experience fibrocystic breast changes at some point in their lives.

Take care.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.