Moe Zafarani
Moe Zafarani, Doctor
Experience:  Cardiology
54460990

Starting a few days ago, have pain in left buttock - feels

Starting a few days ago, have pain in left buttock - feels like I sat on a hard corner somewhere but I didn't. Went about my business (work on my feet a lot). Started to feel it esp. On the top f my foot, also down the front left side of my calf. Took Aleve yesterday - seems to be helping. Should I worry? Do I have to lay off exercise?
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse? It's hard to know for sure. The Neurologist will figure it out. Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: A few days. Bending with legs straight hurts. Nothing I can think of in my history. I am generally active & healthy. Had a cold starting a couple weeks ago so laid off exercise till started to feel better. First workout was this past Tuesday (just before pain started), but just used elliptical. Nothing too strenuous.

I'll be glad to help.

does the pain start from the left buttock and goes down the left leg?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Seems to go down back of my thigh, through the knee & top of my calf. Took Aleve - seems to help, but want to know if I have to lay off working out

I would take it easy.

What is happening is that a muscle in your gluteal region called the pririformis muscle is too tight and possibly in spasms - causing compression of the nerve roots under it that cause the symptoms that are you describing.

I will give you a few stretch methods that will help

please follow the stretch methods laid out in this website

http://www.healthline.com/health/fitness-exercise/piriformis-stretch

the symptoms can take up to a week to improve, while taking NSAIDs is not harmful, it is not the most beneficial thing to do in this scenario

wish you best of luck and a quick recovery.

Please don't forget to rate me so I can get credit for helping you today.

Warm regards,