Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I've had liver damage in the past, my Dr and the radiogist

Customer Question

I've had liver damage in the past, my Dr and the radiogist said there's no lesion on my liver now and my liver is normal, here is my lab results, Bilirubin 0.5, Alk 153, AST 29, ALT 51, LFTs slightly abnormal I don't know what that means? anyways my question is can I sink non alcoholic beer with 0.5percent alcohol while on these medications, haldol, topamax, gabapentin, benzatropine, metroprolo, claratin, propranlolo, buspar, baby aspirin, is this safe or will this damage my liver more?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 month ago.

Hello !

The non-alcoholic beer would be ok for you ...

Not heavy drinking if course but the nonalcoholic as you describe are ok and not a concern..

Current liver function tests are not bad at all ..AST NORMAL ALT slightly elevated ...

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if I may be of further help

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what are the slightly abnormal Lfts something to with the testing negative for hepatitis c and the little bit of alcohol
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the little bit of alcohol in the beer won't interactact with my medications and cause scars on my liver or cause serosis as long as I don't drink maybe more than 5 a day
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I forgot to tell you Dr Bray I also take Lipitor, is this ok

Hello again,

The alcohol content is so low it would not be of concern ...

The slight elevation of ALT is not here at a worrisome level _ ( it is well below 100 threshold which would be more concern...)

From your history it sounds that you may have had significant drinking in the past ?? That could fit with you saying you had liver injury in the past...

Lipitor can cause elevation of liver enzymes and this may be followed over time ...this medicine reduced cholesterol and risk of heart attack or stroke --- discuss with your doctor as do the benefits justify any possible risk from the Lipitor --- it is case by case careful evaluation ...

The LFTs might be monitored for example if you remain on Lipitor so they may be rechecked in 3 to 6 months to make sure they are stable for example ....

I hope that this is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

Best regards!

Anthony Bray MD