Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I have heart disease and pad, recently I had a blocked left

Customer Question

I have heart disease and pad, recently I had a blocked left iliac artery had surgery to repair they did partial cleanout and stent from iliac to aorta, the stent went through inner wall of iliac and came out inner wall of aorta causing dissection and few months later now have an aortic annurism at 3.3 cm not there before surgery. is this normal should it be repaired differently?
JA: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: do have family history both sides of family, current health ok but they stented both illiacs and now rs blocked by something and have to have redone
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: had triple bypass at age 36 and several stents before and after
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sorry for bad spelling
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry about what happened.

stents can help keep blood vessels open, but there are risks with stents in your blood vessels

dissection and aneurysms are rare risks for stents in large blood vessels.

your doctors should have talked to you about these risks as rare possibilities that they could have happened.

you may need to have that aneurysm repaired in the future as well if it gets bigger.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the stent is the cause of the dissection, is this going to cause a future problem or weaken the atery?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

your history of peripheral artery disease and heart disease at a young age already means your arteries are weak already.

the stent did cause the dissection, but you had a blockage in your artery and blood wasn't flowing down into your legs. so a stent was needed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
very familiar with my condition, the question was is dissection something to worry about or just the way it is?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
not looking for legal advice, I'm not looking to sue anyone just want to be fixed properly
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

your doctors know about the dissection at this point.

they will continue to monitor your aneurysm

you don't need to worry.

it is one of the risks of having a stent in the aorta there.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
just want to be fixed properly not cause other problems, didn't have dissection or aneurysm prior to surgery. took two procedures to left iliac opened up wasn't informed about dissection or aneurysm until I went to emergency room for injured backed. they should of atleast told me what happened during surgery. thanks for info. not quite as comforting as I was hoping for
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

yes, I agree

your doctors should have at least told you that these were potential risks for a stent in that location.