Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution

I am curious I recently was hired in an Ophthalmology/

I am curious I recently was hired in an Ophthalmology/ Aesthetics office and after what I saw on 10.7.2016 I resigned that following Monday. The doc had a 75 year old pt that he was performing a Precision Treatment on her neck which involved three small incisions along her jaw line. This would be great accept he is operating in the same office as the Ophthalmology and this pt was on Norco was feeling sick and there are no AED's present in the office and No Crash Cart or 02 this did not seem safe practice. Please advise is this ok ?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Truckee, Ca
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not to my knowledge.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The doctors demeanor was horrible very annoyed when the pt expressed pain after that procedure she then had a SmartSkin and other Laser procedures on her face and I am sure the Norco he prescribed had worn off by then . She was in a lot of pain during that. When I walked her to her car 2 hours and 15 minutes later which by the way her appointment didn't start on time, she started vomiting. I did notify the nurse and the doctor but he couldn't be bothered. Her appt. time was scheduled for 2:30 pm and she wasn't even called back to the room until 4 pm and had been instructed to take the Norco Rx 1 hr before appt. time.

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

This all sounds very bad.

I'm sorry this happened

How can I help?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I just want to know if this type of invasive surgery is appropriate especially when there is not a xrash cart or an AED available? This seems ethically, morally and just dangerously wrong.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Crash cart is what i meant.

No, there should be a crash cart, emergency kit and AED

This is absolutely necessary in today's world.

Usually corners are cut due to cost

you are absolutely correct here

and kudos to you for looking out for the patients

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
what can be done about this??? Im not writing to you for a kudos, I guess is this worth bring to the attention of a higher authority or do they just wait and pray nothing bad happens to a patient? I'm not even sure this is done in a perfect sterile setting.

Yes, this should be brought to the office manager and if they don't respond, the state medical board

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
They do not have an office manager his wife helps but ive noticed that any communication with her she tends to twist. It us a very strange running office. Again this among other strange things there id why i resigned after only being there for 1 month. So if you think this should be btought to the state board how do i go about doing this?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I also dont think Nyone there is CPR certified, i was but never asked about it....

We I think you should give them a chance to correct it first

All you can do is try and if they don't respond go to the board

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
how would you suggest i approach the situation? They are not approachable at all, wgen i gave my 2 week notice Monday morning he let me go then, which was ok with me, but i no longer work there. Please any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This man is a very angry person to boot.

I would just call the office manager and be honest.

If they rebuff you then go to the medical board

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Okay, thank you. If any more questions arise may I contact you again? Does this fee cover me for1 month? Thanks again.

You can contact me in this thread any time.

However, if you have another unrelated question that would require a fee whether it goes to me or not.

but you're welcome to come back to this thread.

Please don't forget a 5 star rating. I appreciate it. :)

still need help?