Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine

I have a rectal prolapse and have foul smelling discharge

Customer Question

I have a rectal prolapse and have foul smelling discharge and gas.....the doctor also has me on iron, vitamin d, and I take a probiotic. I don't know what to do, it's so embarrassing!
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 10 days ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask do you have any diarrhea? What about your diet have you adjusted it as of yet? How often do you have a discharge?

since you seem to be offline, ill leave a response here which we can discuss later on.

Well prolapse is known to cause the issues which you have mentioned and usually probiotics would help in controlling the discharge as well as the smell however if it doesnt work that means that the diuet needs to be readjusted. This would be the next best step, the diet that you should be on for rectal prolpase basically consists of high fiber diet, while there is no fixed diet for rectal prolpase but it can effect it in the following ways,

1. Diet contributes to abdominal fat – the more abdominal body fat you carry the greater the load on your pelvic floor.
  2. Diet influences bowel movements – constipation and diarrhoea can cause straining to empty and worsen prolapse problems.
  3. Diet can cause abdominal bloating, gas and IBS – abdominal bloating, flatulence and IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) can all cause discomfort and worsen prolapse symptoms.

You should aim for a soft stool which would help avoid the discharge and the odor, this can be achieved in the following way,

Foods that soften the stool include:

• Vegetables – green beans, spinach, red capsicum, garlic, green beans
  • Fresh fruit with skins – stone fruits (e.g. apricots, peaches, plums) grapes, prunes*
  • High fibre cereals – bran*, multigrain breads* and whole grain cereals*
  • Snacks – popped corn, chocolate
  • Coffee and tea - although coffee can cause abdominal bloating
  • Spices e.g. chilli, curry

Eating too much fibre, especially insoluble fibre (e.g. skins of fruits and vegetables, seeds) can make constipation and bloating much worse.Dietary fibre is important for correct stool consistency. Most women should aim for 25-30 grams ( .8-1 oz) per day. Secondly you should go for a low FODMAP diet which would reduce flatulence and thus reduce the smell,

Here is a link for a low fodmap diet,

Low FODMAP diet

Now if this doesnt work then you will need to undergo extensive physiotherapy to train your pelvic floor muscles which will help in reduce the discharge as well as the odor, once the pelvic floor muscles are strong enough this will allow you to minimize the discharge as well as excessive flatulence. This an be done with the help of a physiotherapist.

Lastly if none of these things work, then surgery is the final option which can eliminate these troublesome symptoms.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,