Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice

I have complex migraine and on day 3 of cycle. I was

Customer Question

I have complex migraine and on day 3 of cycle. I was hospitalized two ago with same scenario. Went to Nero today and sent over for evaluation at ER. Basically, was given pain meds, steroids, and Benadryl (cocktail migraine) in hopes to stop the cycle. I'm at home now in excruciating pain and don't know what my next step could be.
JA: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?
Customer: It's daily. I do have bouts of nausea and have lost 10 pounds since my hospital stay couple weeks ago.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No I told them everything. A lumbar puncture was completed to rule out menegitis today.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 13 days ago.

With COMPLEX MIGRAINES this eliminates treatment with tryptan class meds of course..

You need to be on a daily regimen to PREVENT your migraines and at times a combination may be more effective than a single agent in my experience,,,

Topamax or Elavil or Inderal are some preventive meds..

You need to have nausea medicine on hand such as Phenergan or Zofran (OTC Dramamine or Benedryl may help)

A rescue pain medicine may be needed but doctors are cautious not to over-precribe these such as Stadol ( a nasal spray which may be helpful if you are nauseated too)

I hope that this information is helpful for you.

Let me know if you have further questions...

I will be happy to get back with you.

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I am on Topamax 150 mg daily and have the Relpax for rescue meds. I use phenergan and benedrayl works best. I just would like to find something to knock this cycle out!! It's been too long. Thanks

Hello !

Perhaps a combination of the Topamax plus Inderal may be considered for better level prevention >> ask your doctor as to this

Stadol nasal spray is a good option for pain control ...

I hope that this is helpful for you ...

Let me know if I may be of further help

Best regards!

Anthony Bray MD