Moe Zafarani
Moe Zafarani,
Experience:  Cardiology at Department of Veteran's Affairs

Other than meclizine, how can I get rid of vertigo?

Customer Question

Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Moe Zafarani replied 11 days ago.

I understand your concern,

You should try the Brandt exercise:

• Start in an upright, seated position.
  • Move into the lying position on one side with your nose pointed up at about a 45-degree angle.
  • Remain in this position for about 30 seconds (or until the vertigo subsides, whichever is longer). ...
  • Repeat on the other side.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I've tried that. I have sinus pressure but I'm now on antibiotics. I've had dizziness for 3 days. Is there anything else?

it can be related to sinusitis, are you having proper drainage or you're feeling a lot of pressure in the face or around the nose?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I've got a lot of pressure, no drainage. But I also have a nasal polyp on my right sinus and I'm going to the ent Monday. But in the meantime the vertigo is annoying

unfortunately in your case it's due to lack of drainage, the ENT's can do a procedure to open up the pathways.

Another suggestion is the Epley's

Epley ManeuverIf your vertigo comes from your left ear and side:Sit on the edge of your bed. Turn your head 45 degrees to the left. Place a pillow under you so when you lie down, it rests between your shoulders rather than under your head.Quickly lie down, face up, with your head on the bed (still at the 45-degree angle). The pillow should be under your shoulders. Wait 30 seconds (for any vertigo to stop).Turn your head half-way (90 degrees) to the right without raising it. Wait 30 seconds.Turn your head and body on its side to the right, so you're looking at the floor. Wait 30 seconds.Slowly sit up, but remain on the bed a few minutes.If the vertigo comes from your right ear, reverse these instructions. Sit on your bed, turn your head 45 degrees to the right, and so on.Do these movements three times before going to bed each night, until you've gone 24 hours without dizziness.