Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine

What might be the causes of shoulder joint pain, neck pain

Customer Question

what might be the causes of shoulder joint pain, neck pain and muscle pain on back to thighs. I have bee having for the last few months. I work out and know this is not from lack of exercise
JA: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have been having very dark almost black bowel movements other than that nothing I can think of
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 14 days ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms.

Can i ask do you have any other medical conditions? or are on any medications?

What is your age and gender?

Do you use alcohol? if so how frequently?

Since you seem to be offline, ill leave a response here which we can discuss later on.

From what you are describing there are two things which are concerning here. The first one is the presence of black bowel movements. This is known as melena, which is an indicator of bleeding in teh stomach, oesophagus or the first part of the intestine. This can be due to an ulcer, inflammation of the lining of the stomach. This is something which needs to be evaluated ASAP as bleeding if left unchecked could be catatstrophic. This would need to be evaluated with a stool for occult antigen and an endoscopy as well. If you are on iron or use peptobismol frequently then it can be a cause for the black colored stools.

Now the pain in teh regions which you have described can be due to electrolyte imbalances which can occur due to dehydration or even due to a long standing chronic medical condition. this would need to be evaluated with the help of tests for potassium, calcium and magnesium. Another cause of the pain can be due to autoimmune disorders which can also cause bleeding from the stomach etc as well as muscle pains as well as joint pains. This would be evaluated with the help of ESR and ANA and if needed a complete ENA profile.

Another cause of this could be related to a muscular disorder such as myositis or myopathy which can cause muscle tenderness as well as pains. Again blood tests like CPK and LDH would be useful here alongwith a EMG test as well.

There are other causes which can cause these symptoms which include chronic medical conditions such as liver issues as well as renal problems. That is why a complete blood chemistry profile should be done.

Now i would suggest that you have your doctor look into these posisbilities ASAP especially regarding the black colored stools.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

Would you like to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.